Saturday, April 4, 2009

Genealogical Kindness

I want to take a moment for a "Thank You" and also a little "encouragement."
Last month I randomly received an e-mail asking if I had documentation for a particular fact shown in one of my online trees. After a little back and forth I received another e-mail from this individual with a link to a web page (not one of his own but containing information he gave). On the web page is the image of a family Bible entry for the children of Henry Mitchell. Until I received that first random e-mail I did not even know my Henry Mitchell ("Henry Smith Mitchell") was the son of Henry Mitchell (who owned the Bible) and now I have an image of the Bible showing his siblings and date of birth.
I want to give a very big THANK YOU to R.L. Guffin for locating that family Bible and having the image posted online. Far too often I've been told information came from a family bible but no one seems to have the bible. I'm always apprehensive in such situations. What if names have been added to the list of children that actually were found in the Bible? What if there isn't a Bible? It's like a big game of telephone, the first person says, "I'd love to find this list of siblings in a Bible record," the next says "There might be a Bible record showing these siblings," the next says "this list of siblings came from a Bible record."
Particularly with Bible records, if you can (are allowed to) post hte image online, do. I've heard too many stories about how the family Bible was thrown out when someone died. This seems unlikely to genealogists but it's not always genealogists that are in charge of clearing out a home. A high quality image can sometimes be even better than looking at the original and posting it on the Internet puts the image in the hands of many people. Next time you see an old family Bible with genealogical information in it, try and get photos and post them online. Maybe you have friends that own an old Bible, they may not want to sell it but if they're not genealogists they may not have shared the information in it, either.
I know there is one missing old Bible in my family. I have two Civil War Union Pensions that state the family Bible was destroyed when their sister's house burned down. I'm still hoping another relative copied some of that information into their own Bible, though. Now if it would just miraculously appear on the Internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment