Friday, January 30, 2009

Visit to Carrollton, GA

Today I visited the library in Carollton, GA. There is a special collections room in the Neva Lomason Memorial Library. I had visited the library one time before and was able to locate an obituary for my great-grandmother. I chose to visit this library again because of it's newspaper collection. It also has microfilmed court records and a small collection of genealogy books as well as Tax Digests. This library is a short trip from where I was staying. I had another appointment at 3 so my research time was limited.
I always feel rather sad visiting this library and this trip seemed a little worse. I'm not sure if the issue is just lack of staff or if there is another reason but many of the books (particularly for Carroll Co.) are not on the shelves, they are stacked on tables and reshelving carts. I know many special collection rooms want materials left out so they can see how many books or microfilms have been used but this was many more books than I have seen unshelved before. It was to the point that what was on the shelves (particularly for Carroll Co.) was difficult to use because it was falling over and off the shelves. I would hope some volunteers will help this location. This could be a great research location if the special collection room had a little more TLC.
One of the reasons this could be such a great research location is the revitalized square nearby (Adamson Square). On my previous visit my mother was with me and we went to the square for lunch. I was really glad to see that the many little independent restaurants on the square were still there. There are also a number of little shops, I wasn't able to see which of those were still there. Should you be visiting for research there are also a number of diversions. I have not visited the courthouse for research yet but it is just off the square so it is convenient to make a research trip to the area. Depending on your research needs for Carroll Co. you may find it worth while to visit the local library and courthouse for a day or two. The square is about 12 miles off of I-20 so you may find yourself passing that way if you are driving across Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment