Friday, January 9, 2009

Miller's Ferry, Calhoun, GA


The above picture is of Miller's Ferry outside Calhoun (Reeves Station area), GA. My great grandmother was Ethel Irene (nee Miller) Patterson. Her family ran this ferry across the Oostanaula River from about 1834. I'm not sure when the Ferry stopped running but today you can drive along Miller's Ferry Rd. For much of my childhood we drove right past Miller's Ferry Rd. (and the Miller family cemetery which was hidden back in some trees) on our way to my grandparents house (from Calhoun, GA to Armuchee, GA). I only discovered the road was there between 5 and 10 years ago and only discovered my great-aunt had a copy of this picture about four years ago. It seems my family has been holding out on me despite my almost two decades of pestering them for information. I'm hoping in the next 5 to 10 years one of them will magically produce a family bible I don't know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment