Sunday, January 25, 2009

January 25th

Today is a big day. It's my husband's birthday and Robert Burns's. Now some of you might think of the two events it would be easier to blog about my husband or his family, but no! If you don't know (or don't realise), Robert Burns is the Bard of Scotland. I'm not going to wax poetic about a poet instead I'd like to muse about my Pattersons (a possibly Scottish line).

I began my genealogy quest oh so many years ago because no one could tell me where my family came from, specifically my Patterson line. I still don't know. However, my Pattersons (and the twice related Ledfords) still remain my favorite line to research. They are always in trouble and provide no end of amusement while researching. I love my Patterson ancestors, particularly the ones I've never met. I'm very thankful for my law-breaking, difficult to find, aberrant ancestors. I've learned a lot about history, and of course genealogy, trying to track them down. They never leave me bored although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like to meet them in person, particularly after they've been playing cards for several hours (and downing moonshine to match).
For several years now I've been wondering exactly what kind of people my Patterson ancestors were. I know so much about them and so little. I often wonder how the traits that got them repeatedly locked up have changed to bring me to where I am today. Alternatively, I wonder if those traits were lost and I'm much less Patterson than my mother always accuses me of being. In 2008 I felt I finally began to see a better picture of my ancestors as people and I hope 2009 will continue this.

No comments:

Post a Comment